If sweating profusely on the armpits was not enough to upset you, sweating more under one armpit than the other can put you to wit’s ends. If you sat wondering why am I sweating more under one armpit than the other let me tell you this is perfectly normal and has nothing to worry about.
You may be sweating only under one armpit or sweating more under one armpit on account of the following reasons:
- The top reason for excessive sweating on one armpit being that simply there is more concentrated distribution of sweat glands on that armpit in comparison to the other.
- You may be having thicker hair on the armpit that sweats more. As such you may experience severe body odor too from that armpit. Sweat as such is odorless; upon perspiration it combines with the bacteria present in the underarm hair and sets off the bad odor. So the thicker the hair the more sweat gets trapped and the more is the stink. It is for this reason that removing of under arm hair regularly is recommended.
- Check to see if your using the same amount of deodorant on both the under arms.
- You may try exfoliating the skin beneath the armpit that you’re excessively sweating on, to resolve any blockage of sweat glands.
- An over active sweat gland on one armpit may be the reason for more sweating on it.
- Probably the skin on the armpit that sweats more is non reactive to the deodorant your using. So try changing the deodorant and see if the problem still persists.
- For those who drive extensively, may notice that there is comparatively lesser sweat beneath one armpit, this may be because the armpit which faces the window receives more breezes that help to dry out the sweat faster compared to the one tucked on the other side.
- If you’re more of a right hand user (i.e. use your right hand to move objects, lift things, write etc) the over use of one hand may be the reason for more sweat on that armpit.
- Understand the fact that your body is not symmetrical and may be your one armpit is slightly bigger than the other and hence sweats more as the surface area is comparatively more than the other.
- Sometimes the reason for more sweating on one armpit may be because of a more serious issue. Though rarely, the presence of a sebaceous cyst on one armpit may be the reason for unequal under arm sweating. If you’re suspicious about a hard lump on that particular armpit you must see a doctor to examine the exact cause of excessive sweating on that armpit.
So the next time you hear someone ask why am I sweating more under one armpit than the other, you know why it’s so.