The occurrence of profuse sweating in child at night is known as hyperhidrosis in children. There can different reasons for such sweating and sometimes excessive can be very disturbing for children. The main causes for hyperhidrosis in children are consumption of spicy food and wear thick clothes while sleeping. Medical conditions such as: leukemia, tuberculosis, AIDS, obesity and sleep apnea. Some of medical conditions which can be the causes of hyperhidrosis in children are mentioned below:
- Hyperthyroidism: Some children who are suffering from hyperthyroidism can experience excessive sweating while sleeping. Hyperthyroidism is the excess stimulation of thyroid level in the body. In this condition, they also suffer from pain in the abdomen, weight loss and fatigue.
- Tuberculosis: A child who is infected by tuberculosis also has profuse sweating at night. In this condition, the bacteria attack the lungs and then the infection is spread in the entire body. The sufferers also have high fever along with the sweats.
- Cancer: Excessive sweating happens in the early stage of cancer in children. Lymphoma is one the cancer which causes sweating at night and it gives a sign of such disease among children and adults. Tumor in the liver and malignant melanoma (skin cancer) in children can be the causes of hyperhidrosis in children.
- Potential: Other medical conditions which cause hyperhidrosis in children are cerebral palsy disorder and autoimmune disease. In this condition, the children can also suffer from gastroesphageal reflux disease (stomach acid passes upto esophagus).
- Obesity: Children who are suffering from obesity also experience excessive sweating at night. They have extra fats in their body and so, they lack in performing any physical activity and they tend to sweat a lot.
- Fever: Fever can cause hyperhidrosis in children. During fever, the body temperature increase from the normal temperature of the body. Usually this condition is the response of some viral infection such as, cold and meningitis etc.
- Emotional conditions: Emotional conditions in children can lead to excessive sweating. When children feel some anxiety during the time of their examination then they can experience sweating. Stress can also lead to profuse sweating in children.
Treatments for Hyperhidrosis in children:
The most effective treatment for hyperhidrosis in children is a sweat controlling lotion (decreases the stimulation of sweat) and Iontophoresis. In Iontophoresis, the medical professional applies and electronic device. This device produces a light sensation of current in the hand and feet. This procedure helps in preventing excessive sweating in children. However, most of the doctors suggest that the treatment for the children should be moderate till they reach or cross the teenage. There is another option for children who sweat a lot; they can wear light cotton clothes and uses fan or ac (air conditioner) at night. They should avoid spicy food and beverages such as cold drinks and coffee.
Some doctors can also recommend oral medications as to treat excessive sweating in children. The medications include glycopyrrolate, oxybutynin hydrochloride and propantheline. Remember that, hyperhidrosis is physiological concern and it no relate with the timidness in children.
- Is Excessive Sweating in Children an Indication of a Health Problem? Are there any Treatments?
- Best Product to Prevent Hyperhidrosis
- Teenage Girls and Hyperhidrosis
- Is Excessive Sweating a Medical Problem or Not?
- What Causes Excessive Sweating? – Is it a Physical or Emotional Cause?
- Botox as a Treatment for Hyperhidrosis on Feet