What is profuse sweating?
Most of the time a person starts to sweat when they perform some activity in a warm temperature (exercises) or if they are sleeping in the hot room temperature. The sweat also occurs when a person is going through some emotional situation or in medical condition. However, if a person is sweating profusely or excessively without any of these mentioned reasons then it is known as excessive sweating which also means profuse sweating. Doctor terms this condition as hyperhidrosis. Profuse sweating can happen at any age (childhood or adolescence).
Types of excessive sweating:
- Primary hyperhidrosis: When people suffer from primary hyperhidrosis, they tend to sweat excessively without being in any medical condition or medication. Under this hyperhidrosis the sweat mostly occurs in hand, feet and armpits. Primary hyperhidrosis can be noticed at the age of childhood or adults.
- Secondary hyperhidrosis: Secondary hyperhidrosis is caused by the side effects of a specific medications (antidepressants, niacin and insulin for diabetes) .Menopause in women also causes secondary hyperhidrosis. This hyperhidrosis is also named as generalized hyperhidrosis. This hyperhidrosis occurs in-armpits, neck, hands and face.
- Facial hyperhidrosis: Facial hyperhidrosis mainly affects the scalp and the face. In this hyperhidrosis, a person sweat profusely and carry a face towel is advisable.
Causes of profuse or excessive sweating:
- Hormonal changes: Hormonal changes in both men and women cause profuse sweating. When a woman is going through her menopause stage (estrogen level reduces), she suffers from excessive sweating. In men, when they go through Andropause stage (testosterone level reduces) causing profuse sweating.
- Obesity: People who are suffering from obesity they tend to have excessive sweating. They have extra fats in their body which makes them very uneasy to work. Profuse sweating occurs even when they are performing some light activity.
- Emotional conditions: Some emotional condition can lead to profuse sweating. Emotional condition which is related to mental health problems such as-nervousness and anxiety can cause profuse sweating.
- Infections: People suffering from infections-Pulmonary tuberculosis can cause profuse sweating. This disease is infected by the attack of bacterium-Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
- Hypoglycemia: Hypoglycemia is commonly known as low blood sugar. In this condition a person suffers from profuse sweating. It is common in people who are suffering from diabetes who tend to sweat profusely due to the medication (insulin) they apply.
Treatment for profuse sweating:
- Antiperspirants: Antiperspirants which consists of aluminum chloride can be an effective treatment for profuse sweating for eg, certain-Dri.
- Iontophoresis: Iontophoresis is a treatment where a doctor plugs the sweat glands with the help of operated electric devices. This procedure is done for 10 to 20 minutes each session.
- Botox: Botox (Botulinum toxin) is commonly used to prevent profuse sweating. Under this procedure, a series of botox injection are applied into the localized areas of the body such as-armpits, feet and face.
- Surgery: Endoscopic thoracic Sympathectomy (ETS) is a surgical treatment which is used to prevent profuse sweating. In this ETS, a surgeon operates the nerves which are located in the sweat glands and this controls the profuse sweating.