Menopause is a time period in a women’s life when there is complete stoppage of monthly menstrual cycle. Menopause starts in women at the late 40’s or early 50’s. Menopause signifies the end of women’s fertility life and there is no chance of conceiving once a woman attains menopause. During menopause, women experience several changes in her body and this overall affects the normal life of a person.
During menopause the estrogen level in the body is decreased. Hormonal changes in the body causes pre and post menopausal symptoms. Post menopause is a time when you have not menstruated for the past 12 months. After that egg bearing life of women comes to an end.
Menopause symptoms are very common and this can cause severe disorders affecting women both physically and emotionally. Menopause symptoms are distressing and can create a lot of discomfort to a woman. Menopause symptoms can be treated with some medicinal herbs.
Many herbs have natural herbal ingredients that can treat menopause symptoms to a great extent. These are some of the herbs that are known to be effective in treating menopause symptoms. The herbs for menopause are of two types-
- PHYTOESTROGENIC HERBS
- NON-ESTROGENIC HERBS
What are Phytoestrogenic Herbs?
They are the herbs for menopause that contains estrogen-like compounds known as phytoestrogens. The chemical structure of phytoestrogens is similar to that of a human estrogen and this can be used to replace a decreased estrogen level in the body.
Many herbal plants contain phytoestrogens which are known to stimulate the production of human estrogen in the body. Common phytoestrogens plants contain isoflavones, flavanols and flavones. These plants are-
- Soy beans, soy floor, soy milk, soy supplements
- Onions, tomatoes, lettuce, apples, green tea
Some of the best sources herbs for menopause are-
- BLACK COHOSH- It is one of the natural herbs that can reduce menopause symptoms.
- GINSENG- Ginseng is a Chinese herbal plant that decreases the menopause symptoms.
- SOY BEANS- Soy beans are rich source of isoflavones, which stimulates the estrogen production in the body. Soya products like soya floor, soya milk etc can help in relieving menopause.
- DONG QUAI AND RED CLOVER- They are both phytoestrogens plants that is effective in treating menopause symptoms like headache, muscle cramps, hot flashes etc.
What are Non-Estrogens Herbs?
Non phytoestrogens are those herbal herbs for menopause that do not have estrogen- like compounds in them. But they are able to treat menopause symptoms without producing this synthetic hormone. They in fact help to stimulate body’s own natural estrogen hormone. Though there are many non-estrogenic plants, only few of them are capable of stimulating the estrogen hormones in the body. Thus, they help to balance hormonal changes in the body.
MACAFEM- Macafem is one of commonly used non-estrogenic herbs to treat menopause. The roots of Macafem are known to increase the level of estrogen in the body. They do not cause any side-effects and is very effective in treating menopause symptoms like night sweats, loss of libido, mood swings and irregular menstruations.
Phytoestrogenic plants and herbs is effective in reducing menopausal symptoms such as muscle weaknesses, cramps, headaches, hot flashes, mood swing and many other symptoms.
- Common Symptoms of Menopause in Women
- Pre Menopause Symptoms
- What are Post Menopause Symptoms?
- Night Sweats in Women
- Post Menopause Excessive Sweating
- Natural Remedies to Manage Hot Flashes
- Is My Excessive Sweating Due to Menopause?
- Know What can Cause Hot Flashes in Men and Women
- What Causes Hot Flashes in Women?