Post menopause refers to the time after the menstrual cycle of the women has stopped completely. It is a time after women’s menopause. Menopause is a time period in a women’s menstrual cycle when a single menstruation have not occurred in the past 12 months. Subsequent to menopause, a woman experiences post menopause period. So we can say that post menopause is nothing but a time in a life of a woman following her last monthly period.
Post menopause is experience by all women and usually starts at the age of late 40’s –early 60’s. It simply means the completion of woman’s monthly menstrual cycle and thus the end of woman’s fertility.
A woman having uterus but is not conceiving or getting pregnant can be said in a post menopause stage. A post menopause in a woman without uterus is determined by a test (blood). High levels of FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) in the blood show that a woman is in a post menopause time.
What are the causes of post menopause?
Post menopause can be caused by changes in the hormone and factors like internal or external factors.
Internal factors include fluctuation of the hormones like estrogen and progesterone. External factors are brought by surgery or illness.
What are post menopause symptoms?
Post menopause symptoms in women include the following-
- Atrophic vaginitis: It is also known as vaginal atrophy. Women may experience several post menopause symptoms such as reduction of the vagina, the vulva, the cervix and the shrinking of the internal and external genital parts. There is increased itching, dryness and watery clear discharges. Because of these there is an increased vulnerability to vaginal infections and inflammations such as candidiasis, herpes etc.
- Stress and anxiety: Post menopause symptoms include psychological depression, anxiety, fatigue, mood swings, irritability, memory problems and stress. There may be increased blood pressure or hypertension.
- Urinary tract infections: Post menopause symptoms include several urinary tract problems such as urinary incidence, urinary incontinence and urinary pressure. Urinary tract infections such as urethritis and cystitis (infection of the bladder) are experienced. There may be leaking of urine during laughing, sneezing or coughing.
- Insomnia: Most of the women in post menopause experience sleeping disorders like poor or light sleep or drowsiness. Most women feel that they gain weight during post menopause.
- Skeletal disorders: Women may experience several back, muscle, joint pains. There is an increased risk of developing osteoporosis. This condition makes the bones susceptible to fractures, leg cramps, foot cramps and bone pain. This is because of the reduced density of the bone.
- Hot flashes or cold flashes: It is one of the post menopause symptoms experience by a woman. It includes night sweats, migraine, rapid and increased heartbeat and a risk of developing atherosclerosis.
- Facial hairs: decreased levels of estrogen can induce surplus facial hair too.
- Sexual problems: Sexual problems may be due to vaginal atrophy. This can cause dyspareunia or pain during intercourse, reduced libido and orgasm problems.
- Skin irritations: Increased skin dryness, thinning, itching, burning and tingling sensations on the skin. Loss of skin elasticity and breast becoming tender or swelling of the breast is experienced by some women. Rapid development of skin wrinkles.
Women should be careful in their lifestyle when they enter a post menopause time. It is extremely necessary and important to do timely check-ups and tests such as Pap smear test, pelvic tests and breast examinations. With the onset of post menopause symptoms women can enjoy the post menopause instead of feeling awkward and depressed.