What is night sweat?
Night sweat is medically termed as Sleep hyperhidrosis. When there is an occurrence of profuse sweat during night then it is known as night sweat. Night sweat is normal in most of the people. Medical night sweat occurs when a person is under some medical condition or taking medication. Sleep hyperhidrosis can happen at any age (childhood or adolescence). However, people suffer from excessive sweating mostly during adulthood (hyperhidrosis), for such people they can opt for some professional treatment.
Nights sweat and cancer:
Night sweats can be a symptom of frightful disease -cancer. The definite link between excessive sweating at night and cancer is unknown. However, the medical experts have stated that when the cancerous cells release the hormones, it causes excessive sweating at night. The night sweat differs from patient to patient who is suffering from cancer. Some experience normal sweating and some can suffer from excessive sweating and they have to change their bed sheets again and again.
Types of cancer which causes night sweats:
- Ovarian cancer: Ovarian cancer can cause night sweats. Most of the women who are suffering from ovarian cancer opt from surgical removal of their ovaries. During this surgery they undergo a hysterectomy treatment. When these treatment is over many circulating hormones in women are lost and this leads to night sweats.
- Hodgkin’s disease (cancer): Hodgkin’s disease is a type of night sweat cancer and it is a form of lymph node cancer. This type of cancer can happen in both childhood and adolescence age. Hodgkin’s disease is a type of cancer which affects the tissues, lymph nodes, spleen, bone marrow and liver. Epstein-Barr virus is said to be one of the cause for this Hodgkin’s cancer.
- Lymphoma: Lymphoma cancer also cause night sweats. Usually, it affects the lymphoid tissue which produces white blood cells (WBC) that fight against infections. Under this condition sweating is severe and it can soak the patient’s bed sheet. People suffering from lymphoma cancer can experience severe fever as the growth of the cells in their body becomes uncontrollable (WBC is weakened).
- Leukemia: Leukemia is a type of cancer which causes night sweats. Under this condition, the lymphoid tissues are affected. This type of night cancer can be acute or constant (chronic). So, an immediate treatment is required. All these type of night sweats cancer affects the immune system which causes night sweats because the white blood cells (immune system) are weakened.
Remedies for night sweat and cancer:
To prevent cancer the best way is to consult a doctor and undergo some therapy. However, there are some home remedies which can prevent night sweats during the cancer stage:
- Dong quai: Dong quai is a Chinese herb which is usually used to control night sweats.
- Licorice root: Licorice root is very useful for various medical condition-abdominal pains, insomnia, Malaria and for controlling night sweats as well.
- Motherwort: Motherwort can prevent night sweats and helps in giving a sort of relief from stress and anxiety.
- Sage: Sage tea controls night sweats during cancer. Boil 2-3 sage tea leaves with water for 10 minutes and drink it. It is available in the medical stores.