Night sweats is one of the symptom of menopause in women. Medically night sweat is termed as Sleepy Hyperhidrosis. In this condition, a person starts to sweat profusely while sleeping. Sleepy hyperhidrosis occurs according to the room temperature and increasing heat in your body. Medical causes can also cause night sweat. However, if a person starts to sweat excessively-their clothes and bed sheets are wet severely then this sweat is medically termed as Hot flashes (Excessive sweating).Night sweat can be related to many health problems such as:
- Chronic illness.
- Hormone imbalance (reduction in estrogen stability in women).
Cause of Night Sweats in Women:
- Menopause: Mainly menopause occurs in women at the age of late thirties, forties or fifties. During this stage, the stability of hormones (estrogen) decreases and this causes night sweat in women. Taking of contraceptives pills also cause night sweat in women.
- Hyperthyroidism: Women who are suffering from hyperthyroidism (over active thyroid gland)suffer from night sweats. The symptoms of hyperthyroidism are-restlessness, insomnia and abnormal heart rate.
- Infection in Kidney: Women suffering from kidney infection also experience night sweat along with side pain, fever and vomiting.
- Lymphoma: There are two types of Lymphoma which causes night sweat- Hodgkin’s lymphoma and non – Hodgkin’s lymphoma. This lymphoma also causes pain in the body and swelling in lymph node.
- Mellitus Diabetes: Diabetes such Mellitus can cause night sweat. When the level of blood sugar starts to decrease due to skipping of diabetic medication-the insulin then this kind of sweating tends to occur.
- HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus): HIV causes AIDS (Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome). Under this condition a person suffers from weight loss and will have a poor immunity system to fight against infection causing night sweat.
- Antidepressant Medication: Women who are taking antidepressant medication can also suffer from night sweat.
Treatment for Night Sweat:
- Sage tea: Herbal remedy like sage tea can prevent night sweat. It is scientifically proven that sage tea reduces night sweat by over 50%.
- Licorice root: Licorice root helps in controlling night sweat. This licorice root consists of mild properties of estrogen (hormone) which gives relief to women, who are going through menopause.
- Chinese herb: A Chinese herb named Dong quai also helps in preventing night sweat.Dong quai gives relief to those women who are facing the symptoms of menopause like-night sweating.
- Black cohosh: Black cohosh is herb which is mostly found in North America. This herb is used to cure female hormonal problems (menopause). Back cohosh prevents night sweat in women.
- Macafem: Macafem produces phytoestrogen herbs which help in increasing the stability levels of estrogen in women. Macafem reduce stress and control night sweat in women.
- Soy products: Soy products such as- soy powder, soy milk, tofu and whole soy beans prevent night sweat.
- Flaxseed oil: This oil is extracted from the flax plant for eg, lavender and it helps in neutralizing estrogenic levels and control night sweat.
- Surgery: Those who are suffering from severe night sweat problems can opt for a surgery. Under this surgery procedure, the doctor surgically removes the sweat ducts which produce sweat. This way surgery prevents night sweat in women.