Definition of Night Sweating:
Sleep hyperhidrosis is commonly called night sweats. It refers to excessive sweating occurring during sleep. A person with sleep hyperhidrosis may also experience excessive sweating when he’s awake. Night sweats may be seen in people of any age but is generally witness in the early stages of adulthood.
At times night sweats may be caused due to genetic factors though they don’t cause any harm. They can disturb the quality of sleep, as you may tend to get up suddenly on account of discomfort caused by wet night wear or bed linen.
Night sweating in women aged above 40 can be due to hormonal changes taking place marking the period of menopause or per menopause. Though it is not dangerous directly, it may be an indication of a potential ailment. Even hormonal changes that take place during pregnancy can cause night sweats.
Causes for Sweating at Night while Sleeping:
- Menopause and Andropause: Menopause in women and Andropause in men causes sweating at night while sleeping. During menopause, the stability levels of estrogen (female hormone) are reduced. In Andropause the stability of testosterone (male hormone) is reduced. This process automatically causes night sweat.
- Infections: Infectious disease-tuberculosis can cause sweating at night while sleeping. However there are other conditions which cause sweating at night and these are:
- Osteomyelitis (infection in bones).
- Abscesses (tonsils, appendix, diverticulitis and boils).
- AIDS (infected due to HIV virus).
- Lymphoma: One of the types of cancer-Lymphoma can cause sweating at night while sleeping.
- Medications: Medications such as- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (antidepressant medication), Aspirin and acetaminophen (medications for fever), niacin (lipid disorder) can cause sweating at night while sleeping.
- Hypoglycemia: Low blood sugar is medically termed as hypoglycemia. This also causes night sweat. People who are suffering from diabetes take insulin and other medication which cause sweating at night while sleeping.
- Neurological conditions: People suffering from neurological conditions such as-
- Heart strokes.
- Autonomic neuropathy.
- Post traumatic syringomyelia can suffer from night sweats.
- Hormone disorder: Hormone disorder-hyperthyroidism (excessive thyroid hormones), characinoid syndrome (excessive production of hormones due to gastrointestinal system) causes night sweat.
Remedies for Sweating at Night while Sleeping:
- Dong quai: Dong quai is one of the Chinese herbs which is used in preventing sweating at night while sleeping. Especially, it is useful for women who are going through menopause.
- Chaste berry: Chaste berry is used to prevent night sweat and dizziness. Daily use of chaste berry will control night sweat for 2 to 3 months.
- Motherwort: Motherwort will reduce the frequency of night sweat and it gives relief and ease to the nerves. For the most effective result, use motherwort continuously for 3 months.
- Licorice root: Licorice root contains glycoside and glycyrrhizin acid which control sweating at night while sleeping and it treats asthma as well.
- Black cohosh: Black cohosh can prevent night sweat and it is also used for the treatment of menopause, dysmenorrheal and depression.
- Progesterone cream: Progesterone cream is used to balance estrogen and progesterone levels in women. This cream also helps in controlling night sweat.
- Avoid Food that causes night sweat: Food especially the spicy ones-curries, caffeine (coffee) ,alcoholic beverages and junk foods containing preservatives should be avoided to prevent sweating at night while sleeping.