What is sweating?
Sweat is a liquid substance which is usually formed on the surface of the body. Sweats are stimulated from the sweat glands known as sudoriferous. These glands are very small sized glands which are located inside and beneath the skin or tissue. They contain fatty acids and mineral compounds. When a person perform some activity in a hot environment or if he/she is under some medical condition then they suffer from sweating. Basically, sweating can be found in the armpits, hands, feet and face. The medical term for sweating is Diaphoresis.
Why do I sweat a lot while sleeping?
Sweating is normal in every individual. People tend to sweat when their body temperature increases in the hot environment or if they are suffering from fever. However, if a person is sweating a lot at night then this type of sweating is termed as excessive sweating or Hyperhidrosis. The excessive sweating occurs in the localized parts of the body such as, hands, feet, face and underarms. Hyperhidrosis can happen at age of teenage or adulthood. One of the common question which is asked by the people is- Why do I sweat a lot while sleeping? The answer for this question is you might be suffering from hyperhidrosis. There are three types of hyperhidrosis and these are mentioned below:
- Primary hyperhidrosis: In primary hyperhidrosis a person starts to sweat profusely without any specific reason (neither medical conditions nor hot weather). The body parts which are mostly affected by this hyperhidrosis are the hands, face, feet and armpits.
- Secondary hyperhidrosis: Secondary hyperhidrosis is also known as generalized hyperhidrosis. In this condition, a person starts to sweat excessively due to some medical condition or medications. Mostly, who are suffering from obesity, tumor, diabetes, gout, hyperthyroidism and the menopause phase women tend to experience such type sweating. The sweating affects the whole body.
- Focal hyperhidrosis: In focal hyperhidrosis the formation of sweating is localized in particular areas such as, hands, face, neck, feet and underarms.
Causes for why do I sweat a lot while sleeping:
- Emotional conditions: Emotional conditions play a vital role in causing excessive sweating at night. The people who are dealing with emotional problems such as, anxiety disorder, depression and stress can suffer from profuse sweating at night.
- Physical ailments: One of the main causes for sweating a lot at night is the medical condition of a person. Sweating can be one of the symptoms of heart disease, diabetes, lung disease, tuberculosis, Parkinson’s disease, AIDS and leukemia (cancer). Sweating can the side effects of some medications such as, insulin for diabetes, anti-depressant for depression and niacin.
- Hormonal changes: Hormonal changes in men and women can cause profuse sweating while sleeping. Women in their menopause phase and men in their Andropause tend sweat a lot. However, women who are in their pregnancy stage also sweat profusely at night.
- Obesity: People who are suffering from obesity can experience excessive sweating while sleeping. They have extra fats in their body which makes them unable to perform any physical activities.
Remedies for sweating a lot while sleeping:
- White peony root: White peony is also known as Bai Shao Yao. The root of this herb contains sour and cold compounds which are used to cure excessive sweating. You can take this herb in the form of a tea. Add 5 to 10 grams of dried root in the water and boil for some minutes and drink when it is cool enough for you.
- Foods containing Zinc: Those who are suffering from profuse sweating can consume food which contains zinc. Zinc help in controlling sweat at night. Some foods containing zinc are, whole grains, legumes, nuts and turkey. Try to avoid fish and garlic as it can stimulate a bad body odor.
- Burdock: Burdock is herb which is used for eliminating sweat from the bowels, kidneys and lymph nodes. You can take this herb in a form of tincture. Burdock is available in the food store.